Lionel Messi wanted to stay at Barcelona and was expected to sign a new five-year deal at the Nou Camp with a 50 per cent reduction in wages but the deal could not be fulfilled; Argentine had two other potential options but has chosen to join PSG
Lionel Messi has agreed to join Paris Saint-Germain on a two-year contract.
The six-time Ballon d’Or winner had two other options after leaving Barcelona last week, but has chosen to move to the French club on a deal worth £25m per year after tax.
Messi was set to extend his 21-year stay at Barcelona by signing a new five-year deal this summer.
However, the club announced on Thursday that “financial and structural obstacles” meant the deal could not be completed, meaning Messi left as a free agent..
Via Fabrizio Romano
🌟 | MESSI > PSG HERE WE GO!
Lionel Messi has reached a total agreement to join Paris Saint-Germain as free agent, here we go! 🇦🇷🇫🇷
– Paris Saint-Germain will announce soon the signing of Leo Messi, agreement reached until June 2023 plus option to extend the contract until 2024. 🤝
– Messi will receive €25m net per season as guaranteed salary plus add ons. Potential total salary around €35m per season. 🇦🇷
– PSG have been the only club to contact Leo and Jorge Messi directly, not using any intermediary. Talks have been opened last Thursday, just after Barcelona official statement. 🗣
– Messi turned down PSG and Man City bids in April as he only wanted to stay at Barcelona. Now PSG were trying again and Leo accepted after leaving Barça because of La Liga rules. 🛫
– Messi will be unveiled in the next hours as new PSG player. Neymar was pushing to have his friend Leo in Paris, Nasser Al Khelaifi and Leonardo have been working on the deal in the last 5 days no stop. 🔴
How do you rate this move for @leomessi? 👇🏻🇦🇷
#messi #leomessi #lionelmessi #psg #goat #paris #parissg #barca #barcelona #herewego 🌟
CLICK HERE TO COMMENT